~ Shopping List ~
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups diced sweet red pepper
- 2 easpoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 2.5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
- 1 cup stock (vegetable or defatted chicken)
- 1/2 cup mild or medium salsa (homemade is preferable, but pre-made will work in a crunch)
- 1 can (19 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups corn (fresh or rinsed canned)
- chicken (cooked and shredded)
~ What to do ~
Heat the oil in a large, heavy sauscepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic. Sauté 3-4 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in the red peppers and jalapeno peppers. Sauté 3-4 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
Add the chili powder, cumin and basil. Sauté 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/2 cup of the juice. Add the juice to teh pan. Crush the tomatoes or cut with scissors and add to the pan along with the stock and salsa. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened slightly. Add the beans and corn (and chicken if you wish). Raise heat to medium and simmer for 6-8 minutes until the beans and corn (and chicken) are heated.
Serve immediately with cheese and cornbread.
This dish is equally good prepared the day before.