~ Shopping List ~
- 4 2 to 4 tenderloin steaks or eye of round (estimate 5 ounces per person)
- 2 tablespoons 1 to 2 Tbsp green peppercorns in brine, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup red wine or strong black tea
- Salt to season
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
~ What to do ~
- Bring the meat to room temperature before cooking, about 20 minutes. Put the peppercorns to soak in the wine (drain before using). Heat the pan to high, and season the meat. When the pan is very hot, fry the steaks on both sides to your liking.
- Let the meat rest on a board while you make the sauce. Deglaze the pan with the stock and boil it down to a generous tablespoon, about 2 minutes. Lower the heat and add the drained peppercorns and cream to heat through. Put the meat back in the pan, turning once to coat. Then, put the meat on a platter and pour over the sauce. Serve.
As seen on the Food Network’s French Food at Home.